|FAQ/SUPPORT - SUPPORT: Nintendo® Wii - gener
| Back to support page.
|SUPPORT: Nintendo® Wii - gener
|>> Download Nitendo Wii, DS, GC user manuals!
>> Wii NAND Flashing Programming Guide for Low-Level Brick (Full-Brick) Repair
2010-06-22 Wii Menu 4.3 brings performance upgrades, removes homebrew
>> Guide - how to make Wii backups.
>> How to open Nintendo Wii:
You need special tri-wing screwdriver + a very small star screwdriver + slightly bigger star screwdriver.
1. Unscrew all screws as on the picture.
2. Remove the front and the small wire behind.
3. Than remove the upper cover.
4. Now you will see the metal DVD cover, carefully lift up the cover.
5. The DVD has four star screws on each cormer, unscrew and carefully lift up the DVD and put it beside the Wii before disconnecting the DVD cables.
General modding chipset info, updated 2009-12
D3 is working with DriverKey and D-Right.
D3-2 is the latest chipset (2009-10), no chips works if you want to use DVD backups.
For older chipset, we recemend WiiKey2, DriveKey, D-right. They offer best support and updates from manufacturer.
The sollution for D3-2 is not to use DVD, but emulate DVD runnig directly ISO files, from different media.
This new methos id used by:
- FlatMii - runs ISo from a computer via USB
- Wode - runs ISO from a lot of different media
- WiiKey Fusion - runs ISO from SD memry
- SunDisk - runs ISO from internal memory 8&17Gb (USB transfer)
- SunDive - runs ISO from 2.5" internet harddisk, replaces entirely Wii DVD drive
Easy mod chip purchase guide (2009-10-11):
Step 1 - Determine your drive chipset by entering your Wii serial number here
Alternative links for checking Wii serials:
>> GBA Temp
Step 2 - Do your research on the modchips before purchasing. You can use forums like www.wiinewz.com and read feedback for each of the chips. Feel free to email us for our opinion.
Recommended tech links (2009-10):
>> Disassembling Nintendo Wii - video tutorial.
>> Disassembling Nintendo Wii - foto tutorial.
>> Wii Exposed: Wiinternals, Wii-motes, and a Teardown Wiideo.
>> Find out what DVD chip Wii is in your Wii by looking at the serial number.
Nintendo® Wii MOD-CHIPs (2008)
Wii mods. Modification chip or modchip is a device used to play import discs, backup dvd-r/ dvd-rw, or homebrew game roms & emulators and also to circumvent the digital rights management of many game consoles, including the Xbox, PlayStation and Nintendo Wii.
Almost all modern console gaming systems have hardware-based schemes which ensure that only officially sanctioned games (whose producers pay licensing fees) may be used with the system and implement country and regional lockout similar to the scheme used in DVD movies. The specific technical nature of these DRM systems varies by system, and may include cryptographic signing (Xbox), intentionally unreadable sectors (PlayStation), custom optical media (Nintendo Wii, Dreamcast), or some combination thereof.
Modchips are available also for some DVD players and PSP PlayStation Portable, to defeat region code enforcement and user operation prohibitions.
Why You need a Wii Mod-Chip:
* Play BACKUPS or COPIES of Wii Games
* Run EU and JAP games on a USA console
* Play all region DVD movies on your Wii
* Launch copied / backup GameCube game DVD's
* Play free roms and emulators
* Use unlicensed homebrew applications and games
-> Note: You can also use a soft-mod, like the Action Replay Max with Freeloader, that offers same or very similar benefits to a mod chip. Without opening your Wii and voiding warranty...
Modchips typically require some level of technical ability to install. Most commonly, Wii modchips must be soldered on to a console's DVD drives motherboard.
The wii release updates once in a while and the updates sometimes contain things ment to block mod chips and soft mods. You do not need to install the updates but some games require you to install the updates or may install them for you.
Of course most mod chips are also updatable and in most cases it is only question of time until "everything is back to the normal" :)
In Swedish only - lite mer info om chipning: